Performance options begin with the anniversary of D-Day on June 6 and continue throughout the region of Normandy to coincide with various liberation dates.
D-Day marks much more than a past-tense event that exists only between the covers of textbooks. This memorial concert series is an opportunity to awaken history with music. As remembrance and liberation commemorations take place throughout Normandy, the swell of music will be heard above the memory of artillery fire in the very places where battles took place.
From solo taps ceremonies to full scale concerts and parades, a wide variety of performance opportunities and venues are available throughout the Normandy region. Past ensembles have performed at sites such as Normandy American Cemetery, Omaha Beach, Utah Beach, Caen Peace Memorial, Sainte Mere Eglise, Arromanches, Sainte Marie du Mont, Carentan, and Saint-Lô.
Additional nights in Paris, London or even Belgium or Germany afford you an opportunity to perform in outstanding metropolitan venues, and to feed your wanderlust for sightseeing! Through the unique lens of this tour, your experiences of world famous landmarks in Paris or London will reach meaning not available to the everyday tourist.
Gateway spends great attention to planning this aspect of your tour as your itinerary takes shape. Here are just a few possibilities:
– Formal concert at Normandy American Cemetery in Colleville-sur Mer, overlooking Omaha Beach
– Taps ceremony at Point du Hoc, near Omaha Beach overlooking the Normandy coast
– Performances at Omaha Beach Memorial, Utah Beach Memorial or Caen Peace Memorial
– Wreath laying ceremonies in U.S. cemeteries
– Promoted concerts and parades during liberation celebrations with mayoral receptions in local towns
– Memorial concerts in outstanding Parisian venues